College Ready Science
Where students write for the scientific world
Battelle’s College Ready Science program offers classroom-tested approaches that raise student achievement and engagement.
College Ready Science 101
College Ready Science 101 is a two-day training for schools or districts. Your training will be led by current classroom teachers who made these changes in their own classrooms. This personalized support from a coach who understands the opportunities and pressures of today’s classrooms separates our trainings from professional educational consultants.
Day One: Create a real world science literacy task
The first day of this training is all about creating engaging tasks that hold students to high expectations. Content includes:
- Real world focus: Battelle pulled together scientists and science teachers to design tasks based on the experiences scientists and engineers have on a daily basis. Discover the texts they read and use to communicate with employers, clients, and partners. Walk away with a task which embeds real world tasks for students.
- In chemistry you might see: Which dyes allow us to most efficiently harvest energy from the sun using dye-sensitized solar cells? After reading the request for proposal and researching, designing, and testing dye-sensitized solar cells, write a critical design report in which you discuss your solar cell and evaluate its effectiveness at meeting the requirements of the request for proposal. Support your position with evidence from the text/s.
Day Two: Target specific student skills, get resources
The second day of this training is all about instruction – ways to effectively teach literacy in science. Content includes:
- Targeted, standards-based instruction: Literacy in English Language Arts is different than literacy in Science. Each discipline has unique standards. Learn discipline specific instructional strategies to use inside your classroom.
- Design that starts with the skills students need: Break the teaching task into individual skills the student will need to be successful. Scientists and science teachers worked together to create a template skills list to help you think about what kids need to be successful on the project. Each skill drives the instruction you deliver to students.
- Forget re-inventing the wheel: Thanks to our partners at the Literacy Design Collaborative, teachers don’t have to start from scratch when planning instruction. We’ll work with you to find free, detailed resources from other educators that can help you spend less time planning and more time with students.
This workshop is designed for 15 participants. All participants receive a College Ready Science and Literacy workbook for their use during implementation.
To register for one of the workshops taking place in Columbus, Ohio – click here. Want to learn more about the program or bring it to your region? Request a consultation on College Ready Science 101 with Kelly Gaier Evans.
College Ready Science – on-site coaching
Transformation requires time and feedback. After completing College Ready Science 101, Battelle Education offers on-site coaching to support your team in transforming their classrooms.
Each on-site session lasts a full day and takes place at your school. Before the on-site visit, your coach will be in touch with your teacher team giving them feedback on their science and literacy teaching tasks (developed in College Ready Science 101) and their disciplinary literacy instruction. The on-site visit will be designed to meet your teams’ specific needs.
Battelle Education recommends completing two on-site coaching visits spaced throughout the year. One during implementation and one after implementation to reflect and make improvements.