Food & Beverage Chemical Characterization & Analysis
Protect your brand with complex mixture analysis from Battelle. We conduct in-depth characterization and analysis of food and beverage formulations and ingredients to give you the accurate, objective and confidential answers you need.
The food and beverage industries face difficult questions. Questions like:
Battelle provides clear answers to your complex food and beverage questions.
- Have counterfeit, contaminated or inferior-quality ingredients made their way into my supply chain?
- Will changing one ingredient in my formulation produce unanticipated effects?
- What change in my product chemistry is suddenly causing problems such as off-flavors, off-odors or shortened shelf life?
Contact us today to learn more.
Battelle doesn't just give you data; we provide the in-depth analysis and insight you need to draw conclusions and answer complex questions. You can rest assured that your data and analyses are completely confidential.
We can help you:
- Perform complete chemical characterization of your product using multiple, integrated analytical technologies
- Quantitatively assess flavor and odor profiles using objective, scientific methods
- Identify unknown contaminants in your formulation—even if you’re not sure what you’re looking for
- Identify changes that result from the introduction of new production methods or raw material sources
- Demonstrate statistical equivalence of ingredients or formulations for regulatory purposes
Our analytical chemists use state-of-the-art instrumentation and advanced statistical methods originally developed for forensic science to advance the science of foodomics. These methods provide a more accurate, complete and reproducible chemical profile, and can be applied to a wide variety of complex natural products or food additives.
When characterizing food and beverage samples, we use multiple analytical methods to generate thousands of data points. Combined, these multiple methods of analysis create a unique characteristic pattern that defines the properties down to the molecular level. Then we apply Statistical Equivalency Testing to compare the fingerprints of different samples and determine whether or not they can be considered equivalent.
Analytical methods include:
- Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography coupled with Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry (GCxGC-TOFMS) for extractable volatile and semi-volatile small molecules, lipids, essential oils, flavonoids and other related compounds
- Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography coupled with High Resolution Mass Spectrometry (GCxGC-HRMS) Characterization for volatile and semi-volatile small molecules
- Liquid Chromatography coupled with High Resolution Mass Spectrometry (LC-HRMS) for polysaccharides, proteins and other larger molecules
- Solid Phase Micro Extraction (SPME) GCxGC-TOFMS for volatile molecules including odor constituents
- Gas Chromatography-Pulsed Flame Photometric Detection Analysis (GC‑PFPD) for nitrogen and sulfur compound profiles
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (multinuclear NMR) for complete bulk characterization
- Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC) Characterization for larger molecule and macromolecular weight distributions
- Gas-Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) and Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) for trace-level targeted analysis for compounds of regulatory or toxicological interest
- Ion Chromatography (IC) for ionic species, including salts and inorganic acids
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) for trace metals and heavier elemental analysis
- Ultraviolet-Visible Absorbance Analysis (UV-Vis Spectroscopy) for matrix absorption profiles
- Physical Parameters including Percent Solids, Water Content, pH, Color, Viscosity
Battelle's in-depth characterization and analysis of food and beverage formulations and ingredients give you the accurate, objective and confidential answers you need. Whether you are seeking a solution for an emerging problem, considering a change to your formulation or verifying the authenticity of raw ingredients from a new supplier, our methods provide the insight you need to make informed product decisions.