Corrosion Detection, Prevention & Mitigation
We are the corrosion experts. Battelle is working to expand the understanding of corrosion processes and develop new technologies and materials that resist degradation in even the harshest environments.
Corrosion is a dangerous and costly issue facing the oil & gas industry. Battelle can help you accurately monitor, assess, treat and mitigate corrosion-related damage to your infrastructure.
Contact us today for more information.
Battelle’s smart coatings and corrosion technologies applies metagenomics and encapsulation technology to create solutions to costly corrosion to enhance safety and protect your bottom line.
Our services include:
Prevent, detect and control corrosion with self-healing smart coatings. The Battelle Smart Corrosion Detector® capsule detects and mitigates corrosion in a single step. Our innovative capsule uses encapsulation technology that triggers the release of healing chemicals as soon as corrosion is detected. Mix the beads into paints and coatings to provide superior corrosion protection for pipelines, offshore equipment and other critical infrastructure.
Microbially Influenced Corrosion (MIC)
Battelle is applying the latest advances in metagenomics to advance the understanding of biocorrosion processes and find new techniques for MIC mitigation. Our MIC solutions include:
- Field detection: Our handheld field detection kit lets operators diagnose MIC problems on site. Instead of waiting days or weeks for lab results, now you can have results in just a couple of hours. The kit uses advanced genomic analysis to accurately identify the microbial species responsible for corrosion so operators can start appropriate mitigation immediately.
- Antimicrobial wraps: Battelle researchers are testing an innovative antimicrobial wrap for use on mooring chains and other offshore oil & gas equipment. The wraps prevent bacteria from building up on exposed surfaces to significantly slow down the development of MIC and extend the life of subsurface equipment.
Marine and Atmospheric Corrosion Studies
When you need to understand how your products, coatings, materials or equipment will hold up under real-world conditions, put them to the test at Battelle’s Florida Materials Research Facility. Our outdoor subtropical exposure facility is the only commercial ocean-front facility for subtropical exposure studies in the U.S., and is rated among the most corrosive environments in the country. We specialize in the evaluation of materials in a subtropical marine environment, including natural weathering, marine immersion, corrosion and dynamic testing.
We will help you:
- Meet regulatory compliance requirements
- Improve safety and stability to your infrastructure
- Target investments by prioritizing repairs