Biodefense & Emerging Infectious Diseases
As infectious disease threats like Zika, Ebola and Chikungunya emerge, Battelle is uniquely positioned to provide advanced expertise and capabilities to accelerate scientific discovery for infectious disease research, efficacy and safety, testing and evaluation. Leveraging industry-leading facilities, equipment, methods, models and scientists, we offer valuable analysis and assessment for vaccines, prophylactic compounds and therapeutics for a wide array of infectious diseases, medical countermeasures and biological threats.
Battelle conducts quality biomedical research for government, industry and academia and is one of only a few high-containment facilities in the nation capable of conducting Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)-compliant safety and efficacy testing in a variety of large and small in vivo models.
Our experts engage in groundbreaking work with bacteria, viruses and toxins to meet the unique needs of our clients. We utilize world-class expertise in efficacy (vaccine, therapeutic and prophylactic) and safety testing, and the latest in genomic and proteomic biomarker discovery and characterization capabilities, to create value-added solutions for our clients. Our biomarker capabilities and experience with in vitro and in vivo model development accelerate the development of breakthrough drugs and diagnostics.
Need fast, accurate answers?
Contact us today for a free assessment.
Battelle’s highly specialized laboratories and equipment enhance the quality and value of our work for faster, more reliable results. Battelle’s 22,000 square feet of Biosafety Level (BSL)-3 laboratory and holding space boasts the largest private BSL-3 containment laboratory in the U.S.
Our BSL-3 facilities include:
- 15 BSL-3 and two BSL-2 rooms for in vivo studies
- 22 BSL-3 and eight BSL-2 aerosol exposure, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology and virology laboratories
- Aerosol Research and Component Assessment (ARCA) chamber, designed to expose complete biological identification systems to viable select agents
- Exposure suites with multiple Class III biological safety cabinets (BSCs)
- Multiple rooms are hardwired for telemetry and available for multi-study monitoring
- Bateriology laboratories
- Dedicated fermentation laboratories
- Virology labs
- Dedicated tissue culture laboratories
- Aerosol testing and exposure laboratories
Our services include:
Infectious Disease Models - Organism
- Bascillus anthracis (Ames, Vollum strains)
- Yersinia pestis CO-92
- Francisella tularensis (Schu S4, LVS strains)
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- Brucella melitensis (16M, B. suis 1330)
- Burkholderia pseudomallei
- Monkeypox virus
- Rabbitpox virus
- HPAI (H5N1) and 1918 reassortant influenza viruses, H1N1 2009 pandemic
- Dengue virus
- Pirital virus (arenavirus)
- Flexal virus (arenavirus)
- Seasonal influenza virus
- Botulinum toxin (not infectious) (seven serotypes)
- West Nile Virus
Our multidisciplinary process enables Battelle to provide quality results on time and within budget.