Battelle provides industry-leading general toxicology services for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device and agrochemical industries and government agencies. We execute routine and non-traditional toxicology studies, customizing our services to meet the unique needs of each client. Rapid access to multiple scientific and technological disciplines differentiates Battelle as a leader in toxicology services.
Safety Pharmacology: Get the accurate, reliable results you need for FDA approval. Battelle applies in-depth scientific expertise, standardized protocols with known delivery timelines, and close communication with clients to accelerate the drug development process. Learn more.
Environmental toxicology: Get clear, defensible data for product registration, environmental impact studies or remediation efforts. We provide environmental toxicology studies for agrochemicals, chemical and biological warfare agents, and chemicals used by the oil & gas and manufacturing industries.
Occupational exposure: Understand the health and safety impact of chemicals used in industrial processes. Battelle’s toxicology studies provide clear answers for manufacturers and regulatory agencies.
Need fast, accurate answers?
Contact us today for a free assessment.
Our world-class scientists and technicians consistently deliver superior results to support Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and non-GLP testing and development of investigational new drugs. Our multidisciplinary toxicology teams test a wide spectrum of products utilizing leading-edge facilities and equipment to provide superior results for our clients.
Highly Qualified Research Teams
With a wide range of models available, Battelle features the comprehensive capabilities to effectively execute a broad array of toxicology studies to address each client’s unique needs and goals.
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) accredited technicians
- Full veterinary staff and surgical support
- American Board of Toxicology and American Board of Veterinary Toxicology diplomates
- In-house quality assurance unit
- On-site histopathology and clinical pathology laboratories
- Compliance with federal and industry regulations (ICH, OECD, EPA, FDA, DEA, USDA, OLAW, GLP)
- USDA and National Institutes of Health (NIH) approved, American Association for Laboratory Animal Care (AALAC) accredited, FDA inspected
- More than 350,000 square feet of lab/vivarium space
- Approximately 85,000 square feet of support space including pathology, surgery and archiving
- Access to 137Cs total-body gamma irradiator facility
- Advanced imaging (computed tomography [CT], positron emission tomography [PET], scintigraphy, and X-ray)
- Biosafety Level (BSL)-2 and BSL-3 laboratories
Preclinical Safety Testing
Experience in Testing
- Dose range-finding, single and repeat dose, subchronic and chronic studies
- Drug metabolism, pharmacokinetics and toxicokinetics
- Safety pharmacology
- Inhalation toxicology
Typical Routes of Administration
- Small molecule therapeutics
- Biologics (stem cells, therapeutic antibodies, vaccines)
- Nutraceuticals/medicinal herbs
- Complex mixtures
- Radiolabeled compounds
- HHS and USDA select agents and toxins
- Chemical and biologic warfare agents
- Environmental contaminants
- Controlled substances
- Oral (gavage, dosed feed/water, capsule)
- Intravenous (IV) (bolus or continuous infusion)
- Dermal (skin painting, intradermal)
- Tracheal instillation
- Inhalation (nose/head only or whole-body exposure)
- Formulation development, characterization and confirmation testing
- Surgical support
- Clinical pathology, gross pathology and histopathology
- Analytical & bioanalytical chemistry services
- In vitro testing services and biomarkers
When you come to Battelle, you’ll find world-class expertise and dedicated, state-of-the-art facilities with everything you need to complete your study, from initial study design to regulatory support. And if your study requires an approach beyond the ordinary, don’t worry. At Battelle, we don’t just collect data – we solve problems.