arrows arrow-right arrow-left menu search rss youtube linkedin twitter facebook instagram arrow-play linkedIn

Employee Off-boarding for VSP/VRO Participants

This resource is to help you efficiently transfer from Battelle. Please direct all general inquires to the Battelle Human Resources Department at 614.424.5000.

Battelle BlueChip Points

Access to your BlueChip account will remain active for 30 days after your termination date. To access, click here and call 888.598.4455 to obtain your login credentials for the site. 

Battelle Equipment

You are required to return all computers, RSA SecurID Tokens, Corporate Phones, iPads, Tablets, any and all Battelle owned computing assets. Please coordinate with your manager to ensure proper shipment/return of all Battelle equipment. For assistance or questions, please contact the Battelle IT Service Desk at or call 614.424.5555.

Battelle Licensed Computer Software

You are required to remove all Battelle licensed software from your home computer. Examples of this software include, without limitation: Microsoft Office, virus protection software, and terminal emulators.

Typically, software is removed by clicking Start > Settings > Control Panel > double-click Add/Remove Programs. Highlight the software to be removed and click the Change/Remove button. Contact the Battelle IT Service Desk at or call 614.424.5555 for assistance.

Change of Address

Please notify Benefits Administration of a future change of address in writing. This will help ensure any future paperwork, including paychecks, tax documents, pension, savings plan, and health information, reaches you in a timely manner. Please supply your employee ID number and your name along with the new address to

Continuing Legal Obligations

Please remember that under the terms of your Battelle Employment Agreement:

  • You are obligated to maintain in confidence the proprietary and other sensitive information of Battelle and those with whom it does business and,
  • You are obligated to return all records and other Battelle property to Battelle.

You may obtain a complete copy of your Battelle Employment Agreement by contacting Battelle Staff Records at or call 614.424.3611.

Educational Assistance

Please contact with any questions pertaining to the Tuition Reimbursement Program. 

Electronic W-2

If you have signed up to receive an electronic W-2 using your Battelle email address, you will need to change your email address to ensure that you receive the notification when your W-2 is available to download.

  • Go to
  • Enter the five-digit Employer Code of 14515
  • Enter your User ID, which was your Battelle Employee ID
  • Enter your PIN (NOTE: If this is your first time logging into the system, you will need to enter the default PIN = Last four digits of your SSN + YYYY of birth (Ex. 99991968).  Please contact the Payroll office if your PIN needs to be reset to the default) 
  • Select “My Account”
  • Select the corresponding personal information you wish to change (email, mailing address, or phone number)
  • Select “Edit” next to the information you wish to change
  • Click "Save" after you have updated the information.

You will see a receipt window indicating that you have successfully updated your personal information.

If you have not signed up to receive an electronic W-2, please go the using the login information shown above and click the “Go Paperless Today” button on the main screen and follow the prompts.  You should receive a receipt page indicating that you have consented for online delivery of your W-2. 

You are required to consent to electronic delivery of your W-2 for security purposes. To ensure system setup and processing, we request that you complete the consent for your electronic delivery as soon as possible and no later than Nov. 30. Please note if we do not receive your consent for electronic delivery, you will receive a paper copy of your W-2 on or around Jan. 31, 2016. 

If you have questions about this process, please send an email to or call Battelle’s Payroll office at 614.424.7143.

Employment Verification Services

If an employer, loan officer, or other party needs to verify your previous employment with Battelle, the request must be submitted to:

The Work Number
(800) 367-5690
Employer Code: 14515
Username: Employee ID
PIN: Last 4 digits of Social Security Number + Employee's Birth Year

Flexible Spending Accounts

If you participate in the Medical Spending Account, you will be eligible for reimbursement of expenses incurred through the end of the month of your last day worked. However, you have the right to elect to continue making contributions to your Medical Reimbursement Account on an after-tax basis by electing continued participation under COBRA. If you elect benefit continuation for coverage, your contributions are paid each month on an after-tax basis. If you fail to make a payment on a timely basis, your coverage will end. All eligible expenses incurred during the participation period are reimbursable up to the amount of your contribution election. To elect this option, you must complete the Benefit Continuation Election Form for COBRA provided by PayFlex, Battelle's COBRA administrator.

If you are enrolled in the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, contributions will be taken out of your check through the end of the last day worked. However, Dependent Care expenses qualify for reimbursement for the entire plan year regardless of your termination date. 

You have until March 31 of the following year to submit for reimbursement under either plan. Contact PayFlex or call 800.284.4885 for further questions. 


Garnishments will be deducted from your final salary check. They will not be deducted from your PTO check. Please contact Payroll at or call 614.424.7143 if you have any questions. 

Life and Group Accident Insurance

Employees accepted into the Voluntary Separation Program (“VSP”) have the option to convert/port Life insurance to an individual policy directly with Unum within 31 days of your last day of coverage under the plan. The conversion and port rates as well as the appropriate forms can be obtained by contacting Unum at (866) 269-0978.

Employees retiring through the Voluntary Retirement Option (“VRO”) who are under age 65 can continue to receive up to $50,000 of life insurance coverage through the Battelle plan. For amounts above $50,000, or for employees over 65 years of age, you may be eligible to convert your coverage by contacting Unum at (866) 269-0978 within 31 days of your termination date.

Employees accepted in to the VSP and VRO programs have the option to convert Group Accident coverage. You can obtain the conversion rate and forms by contacting Battelle Benefits Administration at or call 614.424.6350.  You have 31 days from the date your coverage ends to convert this coverage.

Medical, Dental and EAP

For employees accepted into the VSP, Medical, Dental and EAP coverage for a staff member and his/her covered dependents ends on the last day of the month in which employment with Battelle terminates. However you may continue your coverage at active employee rates for the duration of your severance period through COBRA. You must elect COBRA in order to continue your benefits at the active staff rates during your severance period.  However, if you are Medicare eligible or become Medicare eligible during your severance period you have limited amount of time to enroll in Medicare and a Medicare Supplement Plan, please contact Benefits Administration for more information.  A COBRA package detailing the rights to elect continued coverage will be sent to your home address. You will have 60 days from the date your coverage ends in which to elect COBRA Continuation Coverage. The timelines required for paperwork submission and payment will be further explained in the COBRA information package sent to your home.  You can enroll in COBRA by returning the election form to PayFlex, Battelle's COBRA administrator.

If you wish to continue COBRA coverage after the severance period, you must pay the entire premium plus an applicable service fee to maintain coverage.

Employees retiring from Battelle through the VRO who were covered under a Battelle-sponsored health care plan at the time of separation, and who are beginning their pension benefits immediately upon termination are eligible to participate in the Battelle Retiree Medical plans. As part of the VRO,  employees enrolled in benefits through Battelle at the time of separation may continue coverage at the active employee rate for the duration of their severance period. You must elect COBRA in order to continue your benefits at the active staff rates during your severance period.  You also must elect retiree coverage before the end of their severance period in order to be eligible to elect that coverage.

For further questions you can reach Benefits Administration at or call614.424.6350.

Medical Physicals

If your position required medical monitoring and you receive periodic health physicals, you are eligible for an exit health physical, however it is not mandatory. Contact Health Services at 614.424.6337 to schedule an appointment within 30 calendar days from your termination date.


Your final paycheck will be a direct deposit into your account. If you have a PTO balance it will be paid separately and also issued as a direct deposit. The direct deposit confirmation will be mailed to your home address therefore, please verify that your address is current in our system. Please contact Payroll at or call 614.424.7143.

Incentive Compensation (IC) Plan

The Incentive Compensation plan is dependent on the performance of the company. If Battelle’s performance results in an IC payout, employees in an IC eligible job who have accepted the VRO or the VSP you will receive their FY2015 payout in late December as calculated by the terms of the plan and based on performance.

Payroll Tax and W-2

If you have a tax related question or need a copy of your W-2 from a prior year, please contact Payroll at or call 614.424.7143.

Pension Plan

You become vested in the Employees’ Pension Plan of Battelle Memorial Institute (“Pension Plan”) after you complete five years of vesting service. However, you may become automatically vested before five years of service if, while you are working for Battelle you reach age 65, or you become totally and permanently disabled.

Participants in the VSP will be notified of the value of their deferred pension benefit as soon as administratively possible, typically four to six months after termination. If the total present value of your pension benefit is $5,000 or less, you will automatically receive a one-time lump-sum payment from the Pension Plan. If the present value of the benefit is greater than $5,000, you will have the option to receive your benefit as lump sum payment, elect to receive the benefit in the form of an annuity now, or defer the decision to a later date.  However it is not advisable that you defer your decision past age 65. The lump sum payment may be rolled over to a qualifying plan.

If you have pension-related questions or would like to start your benefit at this time please contact the benefits office at or call 614.424.6350.

Savings Plan

If your vested account balance is more than $1,000 when you terminate employment with Battelle and the members of its controlled groups, you may: 

  • Leave your entire balance in the Plan (i.e., defer your decision regarding distribution) until no later than April 1 of the year following the year you attain age 70 1/2,
  • Elect to make a direct rollover of your entire account balance,
  • Elect a lump sum payment of your entire account balance,
  • Elect to rollover part of your account balance and receive a lump sum payment for the remaining balance,
  • Elect substantially equal installment payments with a minimum amount of $1,000 each, paid monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, or annually.

If your vested account balance is $1,000 or less at the time of your termination of employment from Battelle for any reason, including retirement, it will be distributed to you. 

Please contact Vanguard directly at 800.523.1188 or log onto with any questions. 

Security Clearance

Questions regarding Security Clearances should be directed to Government Security at or 614.424.4700.


The Voluntary Separation Program and Voluntary Retirement Option are a limited benefit offering. The terms of the payments made in relation to the VSP and VRO programs are determined by years of pension vesting services and are non-negotiable.

Travel or Purchasing Card

For questions regarding outstanding issues please contact Travel Accounting at or call 614.424.4896. Purchasing can be reached by email at or 614.424.7048.