Serving government and industry.
Battelle is the world’s largest independent, nonprofit research and development organization. Contract research, development and deployment of undersea technology and engineering services have been among its core capabilities for more than seven decades. Our Maritime Systems group provides best-in-class development, transition and deployment of technologies that help sustain U.S. undersea dominance and bolster commercial offshore activities.
Trusted on board for 80 years
Battelle’s maritime research and development has resulted in crucial deployed components for mission-critical systems operating at sea for more than 70 years. We deliver IP, products, technical solutions and engineering support in five key undersea areas: Submersibles & Subsystems, Life Cycle Engineering, Mission Persistence, Sensors & Imaging, and Autonomy.
Battelle engineers and scientists deliver maritime solutions based on decades of experience and are capable of addressing any challenge. Battelle’s core competencies include:
- Development and fielding of specialized equipment and crucial components for mission-critical systems.
- Rapid prototyping to meet urgent field requirements, especially in the areas of electrical, mechanical and hydraulic systems engineering.
- Field support, installation, training and maintenance.
- Technology maturation and product manufacturing.
- Independent analyses, engineering studies and testing.
Specialized maritime facilities
Battelle maintains six research facilities across the country for custom maritime testing and development. These cutting-edge facilities include:
- Columbus, OH: Research pool; pressure chambers to 30,000 psi; wet and spectroscopic analytical chemistry labs; shock, vibration and fatigue testing; electronics, electro-optics and software labs; Class 100 clean room; and a high energy testing lab.
- Duxbury, MA: Environmental monitoring, water quality, ultra-trace analytical chemistry labs; and hydrocarbon forensics.
- Sequim, WA: Oceanographic modeling, marine toxicology, environmental monitoring; and a Class 100 clean room.
- Daytona Beach, FL: Oceanfront corrosion and coatings testing.
- Dublin, OH: Specialized, low-to-medium volume, 65,000-sq.-ft. manufacturing facility.
Key Focus Areas