PFAS Assessment and Mitigation
From the field to the lab, Battelle is leading the way in development of new solutions for emerging environmental problems—like per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). If you have a PFAS challenge to solve, we can support you every step of the way, from initial site assessment and characterization to stakeholder communication.
Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are commonly used in firefighting foams as well as water-repellant materials, non-stick cookware and takeout containers. Due to their possible impacts on human health, they are now emerging as an environmental contaminant of concern, particularly in industrial sites and on military bases. Research is urgently needed to better understand the fate and transport of PFAS compounds and how contaminated sites can best be remediated to minimize environmental and human health concerns.
Need help with PFAS contamination?
At Battelle, we bring together all the expertise you need under one roof—including analytical chemistry, environmental science, toxicology and data analytics, with extensive experience in sampling, handling and analyzing these challenging compounds. This allows us to go beyond standard methods and develop new approaches to characterize and mitigate PFAS contamination in even the most challenging environments.
Field Sampling for Site Assessment, Characterization and Monitoring
Battelle can help you accurately measure and understand the extent and severity of your PFAS contamination. We developed a Standard Operating Procedure for the sampling and handling of PFAS. Our field team will work with you to develop a cost-effective sampling plan tailored to the characteristics of your site and the questions you need to answer.
- State-of-the-art sampling methods for low-level detection, high-resolution site characterization, source zone characterization and analysis of comingled contaminant plumes
- New method development for low-level PFAS detection, including passive sampling technologies
- Long-term monitoring strategies
- Modeling and 3D visualization tools to help you understand the nature, extent, fate and transport of contaminants on your site and analyze exposure scenarios
Analytical Lab Services
Our analytical lab uses accredited methods and rigorous quality controls to accurately measure even trace levels of PFAS compounds in sediments, soils and water. We use innovative methods, modified for additional PFAS analyte detection, multiple MRM transitions for positive identification, and a shorter, more robust analytical run to improve data accuracy and reduce the likelihood of sample contamination.
Our lab provides:
- Analytical methods that are accredited for PFAS detection in soil, sediment and water to the DoD QSM version 5.1
- High-quality, defensible data with detection limits in parts per trillion range for waters and low parts per billion range for soils and sediments
- Drinking water (un-modified EPA 537.1) and tissue samples (being added to ELAP accreditation)
- New method development and optimization
Remedy Selection and Optimization
Battelle is conducting research to define remediation strategies for PFAS compounds. We apply the knowledge gained in our research to help you design approaches for your PFAS problem and remediation methods.
Our services include:
- Feasibility studies to evaluate the cost and effectiveness of different remediation options based on site characteristics, contaminant levels and cleanup goals
- New remedy development, selection and design
At Battelle, we don’t just give you data—we help you understand it and communicate with your stakeholders. We use advanced analytical methods grounded in the latest research on PFAS impacts to give you an accurate, objective evaluation of human health and ecological risks. We also provide support for publications and public meetings to address stakeholder concerns
Battelle provides industry-leading environmental toxicology services, including general, developmental and reproductive, neurobehavioral, cardiopulmonary and inhalation. We design and conduct toxicology studies to help the industry better understand the toxic effects and exposure risks of PFAS compounds. Our toxicology team provides clear, defensible data for environmental impact studies and analysis of human health impacts.
Our expert team helps you find the most cost-effective and efficient approach to characterizing and remediating your PFAS-contaminated site. We’ll help you meet evolving regulation, address community concerns and minimize your PFAS-related risks.