National Lab Management
Battelle has a substantial management role at eight national laboratories: seven for the U.S. Department of Energy and one for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. These national laboratories deliver unmatched capabilities that drive scientific discovery, inspire innovation and solve what matters most. Learn more.
Research Infrastructure Management
Battelle is proud to manage NEON, one of the most ambitious ecology programs of all time. Since assuming management of the observatory for the National Science Foundation (NSF) in 2016, our team completed construction of the observatory and successfully transitioned all 81 field sites to operations and positioned the program to be a major contributor to ecological research for decades to come.
The NEON program provides:
- Long-term, continental-scale environmental data that are freely available to researchers and the public through the NEON Data Portal
- Access to biological, genomic and geological samples collected at NEON sites through the NEON Biorepository
- Infrastructure to support additional research activities (available through the NEON Assignable Assets program)
- Open access educational tools to help researchers and students work with large sets of ecological data
Learn more about how Battelle brings operational management expertise to NEON.
Research Logistics & Operations
Battelle and its partners provide expert infrastructure and logistics support to academic researchers conducting NSF-funded studies in the Arctic through the The National Science Foundation's RSL program.
The remote locations, harsh weather conditions and difficult terrain require a contractor that can bring cost-effective field support and risk management to enable research. The RSL program was created to make Arctic fieldwork safer, more efficient, and more cost-effective. Battelle Arctic Research Operations (ARO) is the prime logistics contractor for the RSL program.
Battelle ARO enables researchers to efficiently, effectively, and safely conduct research thanks to experienced research support staff who provide planning, common processes and shared resources. Research teams benefit from access to established laboratory facilities, equipment and sample storage, lodging, research vessels, local guides, remote communication equipment, snowmobiles and other vehicles, and more.
Looking for support with your large research infrastructure programs?
We can help.
If you need to maintain and preserve critical biological samples, Battelle can help. We are highly experienced in repository management, including management of high-risk biological specimens.
Technical On-Site Professional Services
- Specimen collection, processing and storage
- Inventory management
- Quality assurance
We put qualified lab workers, managers, and scientists to work in your environment to support your goals.
- Analytical chemists and biological lab workers, epidemiological program managers and other specialties to meet your needs
- Management services including ongoing staff oversight, search and recruiting services, safety observations, program management, staff education and reviews
- Implementation and oversight of quality systems