Detection-Canine RDT&E Services
Detection-canine teams play an integral role in protecting our assets, military personnel and civilians. They have the unique ability to deconstruct an odor into its components, picking out just the culprit chemicals they have been trained to detect.
Battelle has more than 20 years of experience in canine-focused research, development, testing and evaluation (RDT&E).
Detection-canine teams are used to detect and locate specific people, objects or substances of interest, in applications including:
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosives (CBRNE)
- Search & Rescue
Battelle’s Detection-Canine can help you get the best out of man’s best friend.
Contact one of our experts today to learn more.
We provide insight and the tools necessary to understand, expand and improve canine team performance and operations.
Battelle’s rigorous and objective test design, execution and reporting provide vital insight to the true level of performance of detection-canine teams. Using basic odor recognition tests and operational setting-based assessments, we can help identify weaknesses and means of improvement.
- Intelligent test matrix design
- Thorough test procedure development
- Unbiased test set up and execution
- Electronic data capture linked to video evidence
- Extensive data analysis and presentation
Evaluation of Training Aids & Methodologies
We can verify the validity of commercially available and developmental training aids aimed at providing a means of imprinting on otherwise problematic contraband and threats. Past programs have included home-made explosive (HME) targets, as well as chemical and biological targets.
Our researchers perform specialized testing that enables agencies to close knowledge gaps in their training protocols, including:
- Examination of “odor generalization” across similar target formulations
- Quantification of olfactory thresholds
- Data-driven evaluation of commonly practiced training philosophies
Development of Breakthrough Technologies
Our wide-ranging expertise helps advance working dog teams by providing new capabilities and resources, including:
- Design and development of tablet-based data logging tools.
- Design, fabricate and test an improved human scent-collection unit with applications in forensics and tracking/trailing.
- Use of infrared video technology to film odor plumes under various conditions for purposes of generating multimedia training solutions.
- Initiate groundbreaking research to capture, process and decode neurological signals from detection canines.
Detection canine teams play an integral role in protecting our citizens, assets, law enforcement and warfighters. Combining a workforce of engineers, chemists, biologists and veterinarians with over 20 years of canine-focused RDT&E experience, Battelle continues to provide the insight and tools necessary to understand, expand, improve and advance canine team performance and operations.